Sunset Coffee Building
Central to the continued revitalization is restoration of the Sunset Coffee Building, one of the few remaining industrial buildings on Buffalo Bayou and a contributing structure within downtown’s Main Street/Market Square Historic District. The Sunset Coffee Building was built in 1910 as an annex to the 1880’s W. D. Cleveland & Son’s wholesale grocer supply building. Both buildings were located at the foot of Main Street and specialized in accepting goods as they came into the port. The Sunset Coffee Building functioned as a coffee roasting company, indicating coffee’s key role in Houston’s economy and development. As directed by the Buffalo Bayou and Beyond Master Plan, Buffalo Bayou Partnership purchased the long vacant Sunset Coffee Building in 2003. This was a bold move towards preserving Houston’s most significant and historic site. BBP worked for over a decade to raise money for renovation of the 12,000 square foot building and finalized an agreement in 2013 with Houston First Corporation to contribute the remaining funds needed for the project. Once construction is complete, Houston First will take over ownership and operation of the facility. Designed to achieve LEED Silver certification by the nationally recognized architecture firm Lake | Flato, along with local architect BNIM and landscape architect SWA Group, the Sunset Coffee Building will be Buffalo Bayou’s premier recreational and cultural center. The building will house BBP’s offices, a rooftop terrace, a paddle craft/bike rental facility, and an outdoor plaza. Renovations are scheduled to be complete fall 2017.
Allen’s Landing is an historic park that truly defines our city. Often described as “Houston’s Plymouth Rock,” it was here in 1836 that August Chapman and John Kirby Allen stepped ashore and claimed Houston as their own. This site, at the confluence of Buffalo and White Oak Bayous also became Houston’s first port, a thriving commercial hub, and a symbol of our city’s entrepreneurial spirit. After years of neglect, BBP took the lead in revitalizing Allen’s Landing. Included among a series of enhancements are: restored historic wharf, embarcadero, entry plaza and public art. The park was also extended west to eventually connect Allen’s Landing to Sesquicentennial Park.