We sincerely hope you and your families have remained safe and dry during this week’s heavy rains and flooding.
The Maintenance and Operations Team at Buffalo Bayou Partnership is monitoring the bayou level, assessing areas of the parks and trails, and watching the forecast. As our priority is safety, we ask users to please exercise caution when traveling along Buffalo Bayou. In times where there is high water, native animals are displaced and may be in areas outside of their habitats. We also wanted to share these updates with you:
Buffalo Bayou Park
- As park visitors know, the benches, trash receptacles, lighting, etc. are designed to withstand severe storms. The waters in Buffalo Bayou Park have receded, but we are still assessing any damage.
- The visitor centers at Lost Lake and The Water Works received no damage and are operating under their normal schedule, Thursday through Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.
- The Kitchen at The Dunlavy is also operating during normal business hours, Monday through Sunday from 7 am to 2 pm.
- Bike Barn, located at The Water Works, is operating under normal business hours, Saturday through Sunday from 10 am to dusk.
- Bayou City Adventures, located at Lost Lake, is closed until further notice. To schedule a guided tour, please contact them directly at 713-538-7433.
- Barbara Fish Daniel Nature Play Area is open.
- Johnny Steele Dog Park is closed until further notice.
- All concrete, multi-use trails from Shepherd Dr. to Sabine St. have been cleared. Work is continuing on the asphalt footpaths from Shepherd to Sabine and should be cleared by Friday.
Other Parks and Trails
- Trails from Sabine St. to Sesquicentennial Park and the TIGER trail between Smith and Milam streets should be cleared of silt and debris by Friday. Work continues on the Northside Trail between Sesquicentennial Park and University of Houston-Downtown.
- The flood waters reached the ground floor of the Sunset Coffee Building at Allen’s Landing and as a result, there is a great deal of silt and mud. The contractor has already initiated cleanup and completion of the building should not be delayed.
- Our pontoon tour boat received considerable damage, but we are working to get it back up and running in the near future.
Lend a Helping Hand!
- If you are interested in volunteering to assist with our cleanup efforts to remove mud and sediment along the trails and picking up trash, please contact Sarah McIntire, Volunteer Supervisor.
Blanket Bingo Rescheduled for Wednesday, April 27
- Blanket Bingo at Market Square Park planned for tonight is being rescheduled for next Wednesday, April 27th from 6 to 9 pm. Follow Market Square Park for updates regarding the event.
Bayou Bash is still planned for this Saturday, April 24
- The Bayou Bash hosted by our young professionals group, Bayou Buddies, is STILL ON for this Saturday, April 23rd from 12 to 4 pm at The Water Works! Enjoy crawfish, live music, a silent auction and lawn games. Advance tickets are on sale now! Tickets will also be available for sale at the event.
We thank all of you who have reached out to us to express support and ask about ways to help. Together, we will get the Buffalo Bayou trails and parks clean and green.