Here is an overview of what’s in the works in Buffalo Bayou Park:
- Harris County Flood Control District has started planting several thousand new trees along the channel from Taft upstream to Shepherd.
- BBP is also planting a variety of plants and native grasses between Montrose and Waugh on both sides of the bayou.
- The Lost Lake area is seeing major progress. Grading for the lake is being completed, concrete work for the upper cascade is underway, the parking lot is partially installed and most of the footpath along the bayou is complete. The building shell and roof deck for The Dunlavy is complete. In early February, the special event space contractors will begin constructing and outfitting the interior space.
- The steel frame for the Wortham Insurance Visitor Center at The Water Works is being erected.
- In late December, BBP will assume operational control and landscape maintenance of both banks from Waugh to Montrose, including Greentree (the wilderness area on the north bank east of Waugh.)
- The Sabine Overlook is complete and the renovated parking lot at Eleanor Tinsley Park has re-opened. The Nau Family Pavilion is near completion.
- At the Nature Play Area, steel framing for the picnic pavilion roof has been installed, and the suspension bridge and treehouse structures are going in.
- The footpath system is nearing completion. Walkers and joggers, please note there are some gaps at Lost Lake and the McGovern Cascade where other construction must be completed first.
- Work continues on lighting. Almost all trail lights are installed. More of the park’s lighting will be programmed in mid-January.