As 2012 comes to a close, we celebrate the significant progress made at Buffalo Bayou Park – Shepherd to Sabine and recognize the generosity of Houston’s leading foundations and corporations.
The vision for Buffalo Bayou Park has inspired numerous record-setting gifts including the following:
- Kinder Foundation’s catalyst $30 million gift, the largest in the history of Houston’s park system
- The Wortham Foundation provided a $5 million challenge grant with a 2:1 matching requirement. The foundation’s gift served as an early catalyst for BBP to raise additional funds and reach out to new donors, and we are happy to announce that BBP has raised more than $10 million to fulfill this challenge
- Ray C. Fish Foundation’s recent $1 million grant for Buffalo Bayou Park’s exciting Nature Playground
- Carruth Foundation’s $1 million sponsorship of the pedestrian bridge connecting Buffalo Bayou Park to the Police Memorial – the largest gift in the foundation’s history
- The Garden Club of Houston’s $250,000 contribution, the largest in the club’s 80-year history, for the park’s Lost Lake perennial gardens
Thanks to these additional Buffalo Bayou Park donors of $50,000+ (as of November 28, 2012):
- The Wortham Foundation, Inc.
- Houston Endowment Inc.
- The Brown Foundation, Inc.
- The Fondren Foundation
- The Cullen Foundation
- The Elkins Foundation
- Susan Vaughan Foundation
- Scurlock Foundation
- Brady Carruth
- Apache Corporation
- River Oaks Garden Club
We are honored that these and other gifts will allow us to develop major park features.