WHO: Hotel ICON and Buffalo Bayou Partnership
WHAT: The community open house Lunch & Learn event kicks off a spring/summer awareness campaign highlighting Buffalo Bayou Partnership programs and initiatives plus a myriad of related amenities and activities geared towards Houstonians and travelers.
Hotel ICON will sell boxed lunches and its signature rubber duckies. Katz Coffee will be sampling coffees, including Bayou Blend. Proceeds from the ducks and Bayou Blend have played an integral role in fundraising for the revitalization of Buffalo Bayou including the transformation of Buffalo Bayou Park and renovation of the Sunset Coffee Building, which will soon serve as a key point of bayou entry, education and discovery within the downtown historic district.
Presenting organizations/businesses will include:
- Bayou City Adventures – kayak rentals
- Bayou City Outdoors – promotion of outdoor activities
- Bike Barn – bike rentals
- BikeHouston – trail options
- EarthShare of Texas – promotion of members’ missions to a better environment
- Get Out Here Houston – comprehensive outdoors website and app for the Houston Gulf Coast region
- The Heritage Society – Houston’s only outdoor, interactive historic museum and park
- Jesse H. Jones Nature Center – Buffalo Bayou wildlife
- Katy Prairie Conservancy – seed collecting for Buffalo Bayou prairie and walking tours of Buffalo Bayou Park
- Katz Coffee – Bayou Blend tasting and sample distribution
- Native Plant Society – native plants living along Buffalo Bayou
- The Wave – shuttle and culinary and arts tours
WHEN: Wednesday, March 2 from 11 am until 2 pm
WHERE: Hotel ICON lobby – 220 Main, entrance on Congress
WHY: Launched two years ago, an alliance between Buffalo Bayou Partnership and historic Hotel ICON, located just steps from Allen’s Landing, looks to reinforce the place where Houston began by creating a range of guest opportunities to discover, enjoy and help preserve Buffalo Bayou, Houston’s most significant natural resource.