Put an end to the cycle. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Every day, the path of plastic pollution is destructive – littering Houston’s parks and streets, flowing through the sewers to Buffalo Bayou, and finally dumping into Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico – destroying beauty and wildlife along the way.
- Use reusable bags when shopping. 5 billion plastic bags are thrown away each year. It will take centuries for that plastic to degrade.
- Start using refillable water bottles. Americans annually use 50 billion plastic bottles.
- Bring your own coffee mug to work. 25 billion disposable foam cups are thrown away annually in America.
- Pack lunch in a reusable container. Takeout orders account for 269,000 tons of plastic waste in the ocean.
- Don’t purchase products with excess packaging. Packaging makes up for 42% of plastics produced and 52% of plastics thrown away.
- Try reusable metal or paper straws. Half a million plastic straws are used by Americans every day.
Special thanks to Richards/Carlberg for creating this important campaign.