Buffalo Bayou Partnership invites Houstonians, ages 9 and up, to donate their valuable time and energy to restoring and protecting Buffalo Bayou’s parks and trails. Each year, volunteers contribute thousands of hours removing invasive plants, picking up trash and debris and spreading mulch to help maintain the green space’s appearance. These efforts lead to a healthier environment and a more aesthetically pleasing amenity while fostering bayou stewardship. Volunteers also provide vitally needed office assistance and support at BBP’s signature events.
Now is your chance to lend a hand! Contact Leticia Sierras at email@example.com or 713.752.0314 ext. 206 to get started.
Groups larger than 10 are welcome to volunteer Monday through Saturday. Buffalo Bayou Partnership will assign each group to areas wherever their services are most needed. BBP will also provide materials like tools, trash bags and special equipment to help get the job done. Sponsorship opportunities are available for corporate groups.
The following are types of work volunteers will be completing:
- Gardening – Plant and weed flower beds, prairie and wildflower areas; spread mulch; and help maintain plant health
- Invasive Species Removal – Assist with identification and removal of invasive plants in wildflower areas
- Trash Pickup – Pick up trash and debris along trails, stuck in trees and plants, etc.
- Trail Cleanup – Shovel silt off trails to ensure safe use for pedestrians
- Trail Resurfacing – Fill in bare areas of trails with crushed granite to ensure a level, safe trail for pedestrians
- Natural Surface Trail Repair – Assist with making repairs on eroded surfaces, trimming branches and twigs, and picking up trash along trails
Monthly Volunteer Day: The community is invited to complete a variety of tasks needed to maintain Buffalo Bayou Park every third Saturday of each month. Groups and individual volunteers are welcome.
Trash Pickup: Collect trash and debris during your walk through the park. Stop by either the Lost Lake or the Wortham Insurance Visitor Centers to pick up a trash bag to get started. Once you’re done, drop the bags at the nearest trash can.
- KBR Kids Day – Help with check-in, set up and tear down, help direct families to event location, distribute BBP materials, and lead children’s activities.
- Office Work – On occasion, BBP will need assistance with a large mailing, filing, and other administrative work.
Japhet Creek Nature Conservancy
Japhet Creek Nature Conservancy is dedicated to the restoration and preservation of the natural beauty of Japhet Creek, a linear “green finger” in the East End that provides a filter for water entering Buffalo Bayou.
If you are interested in helping out at Japhet Creek, please contact Japhet@JaphetCreek.org.
Leticia Sierras, Volunteer Coordinator
Phone: 713.752.0314 ext.206