The Buffalo Bayou Guide will guide you as you walk, run or cycle along the waterway and visit the many parks and historic sites.
- Walk, jog and bike the trails
- Rent a bicycle from Bike Barn and ride along the hike and bike trails
- Rent a canoe or kayak from Bayou City Adventures and paddle on Buffalo Bayou
- Picnic on the banks
- Play disc golf along Jim Mozola Memorial Disc Golf Course at Buffalo Bayou Park
- Hop aboard the Spirit of the Bayou for a private charter tour, bat tour or history tour
- Experience the sights and sounds of over 250,000 Mexican free-tailed bats at Waugh Drive Bridge
- Catch a glimpse of the resident hawks and owls
- Play frisbee, volleyball or disc golf
- Take a self-guided public art walk and look for works by artists Henry Moore, Mel Chin, John Runnels and more
- Enjoy a docent-led walking tour through the prairie
- Press the “secret” red button located at Preston Street Bridge to see artist Dean Ruck’s Big Bubble
Visitors can rent bicycles and paddle crafts from Buffalo Bayou Park. Reservations can be made in-person or online. Please visit the concessionaires’ respective websites for more information about rentals and hours.
There are public parking areas available at Lost Lake, Eleanor Tinsley Park and The Water Works, as well as along Allen Parkway, Memorial Drive, and city streets surrounding Buffalo Bayou Park. When parking along city streets, please pay close attention to signage, be neighborly and use the pedestrian bridges to safely access the park. Do not leave valuables in your vehicle.
Restricted & Temporary Parking Options:
- City of Houston Lot H – Over 400 spaces available for public parking on weekends and after 6 pm on weekdays. Buffalo Bayou Park trails can be accessed from Sabine Promenade.
- American General Campus Surface Lot – The American General Campus is temporarily offering free weekend parking to park visitors. To access this parking on Saturdays and Sundays, proceed east on the Allen Parkway (inbound) feeder from Waugh. Turn right into entrance 4, then turn left to enter the surface lot. Once parked, please use paved paths and sidewalks to proceed to the crosswalk at Studemont to safely cross Allen Parkway to Buffalo Bayou Park. All garage and parallel parking within the American General Campus is private parking and reserved for office tenants only.