Buffalo Bayou Partnership is transforming Houston with its unique waterfront projects. Buffalo Bayou East is the focus of BBP’s expansion east of downtown, encompassing the four-mile stretch from US 59 to the Port of Houston Turning Basin. The comprehensive Buffalo Bayou East Master Plan is now being realized with substantial support from public and private entities. New bayou parks, trails, housing, cultural destinations, and infrastructure improvements will be made over the next ten years.
The Buffalo Bayou East Master Plan continues BBP’s decades-long legacy of transformational projects along the waterway. The plan was developed with extensive community input over a two-year period. Residents, neighborhood groups, and stakeholders from the Greater East End and Fifth Ward, the key communities within the Buffalo Bayou East area, helped to envision the plan’s projects and goals. Through this process, the following core values emerge that continue to infuse the planning and implementation of Buffalo Bayou East:
AUTHENTICITY, CONNECTIVITY, INCLUSIVITY, RESILIENCY
Key to Buffalo Bayou East are several objectives:
- Preserve Buffalo Bayou East neighborhoods’ cultures and traditions
- Repurpose the area’s industrial relics and showcase its ongoing industrial activity
- Extend the neighborhood fabric to the bayou and create a public waterfront edge open to all
- Leverage Buffalo Bayou Partnership-owned and publicly held properties for open space development
- Create a diverse network of parks and destinations with wide appeal
- Develop trails, greenways, and pedestrian-friendly neighborhood streets to connect the bayou to the city’s bike and pedestrian networks
- Develop an economically integrated, bayou-facing neighborhood
- Create a safe and resilient waterfront to support an ecologically rich habitat connected to the wider open space system
Buffalo Bayou Partnership is committed to delivering a place that offers new economic, social, and environmental improvements that will benefit Buffalo Bayou East, its existing communities, and Houston as a whole.
To stay up to date on our progress, please join BBP’s email list here.
Buffalo Bayou East Buffalo Bayou Partnership is accelerating implementation of the Buffalo Bayou East Master Plan with generous support from Houston Endowment Inc., The Brown Foundation, Inc. and The Powell Foundation.