Please be aware of the following trail closures along Buffalo Bayou:
- The southside trail along Allen Parkway near Shepherd Drive is closed for trail reconstruction by the City of Houston through November. To use the northside trails near Shepherd Drive, please cross at Jackson Hill Bridge. The Shepherd Drive Bridge remains accessible.
- The following trails are closed to the public: Lower asphalt trail near Green Tree Nature Area, lower asphalt trail west of Jackson Hill Bridge, lower asphalt trail behind Beth Yeshurun Cemetery, lower asphalt trail behind Lost Lake, Sesquicentennial Park (southside) at Smith Street to Milam Street. Please avoid use of these trails for your safety.
- The City of Houston is working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to fund trail restoration and stabilize the embankment from Franklin Street to Main Street due to damage caused by Hurricane Harvey.
- Always keep to the right on trails to avoid faster moving traffic.
- Do your best to anticipate the actions of other users and know the limits of your own abilities.
- Keep pets on a short leash.
- Announce “passing on left” when trying to get around someone in front of you.
- Look ahead and behind you before turning around on the trail.
- Pull over to the right or completely off the trail when stopping for any reason.
- ALWAYS wear a helmet.
- Watch speeds on bicycles and keep at least a three-foot distance from pedestrians at all times.
- Use of headphones/ear buds is discouraged, but if you do, consider removing the device from one side so you are aware of the sounds around you.
- Watch children carefully – don’t allow young children on trails without supervision.
- When in a group, stay in a single file line.
- Obey all traffic signals when crossing major intersections. Never cross at an area without a designated pedestrian traffic signal.
- Look both ways before crossing or merging with another trail.