The Buffalo Bayou Guide will guide you as you walk, run or cycle along the waterway and visit the many parks and historic sites.
- Walk, jog and bike the trails (no bikes on the asphalt footpaths)
- Rent a bicycle from Bike Barn at The Water Works or Houston BCycle and ride along the hike and bike trails
- Rent a canoe or kayak from Bayou City Adventures and paddle on Buffalo Bayou
- Picnic, play frisbee or fly a kite
- Have your child glide down the 30′ slide at the Barbara Fish Daniel Nature Play Area
- Enjoy the downtown views at the Wortham Insurance Terrace of The Water Works
- Hop aboard the Spirit of the Bayou pontoon boat tour for a bat tour, history tour or private charter
- Experience the sights and sounds of over 250,000 Mexican free-tailed bats at Waugh Drive Bridge
- Catch a glimpse of the resident hawks, owls and other wildlife
- Learn about the historic Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern during a guided tour
- Let your pup off-leash at Johnny Steele Dog Park to freely run around and play
- Play volleyball
- Take a self-guided public art walk and look for works by artists Henry Moore, Mel Chin, John Runnels and more
- Enjoy a guided walking tour to learn about the surrounding ecology, public art and best wellness practices
- Grab breakfast or lunch at The Dunlavy located at Lost Lake
There are public parking areas available at Lost Lake, Eleanor Tinsley Park and The Water Works, as well as along Allen Parkway, Memorial Drive, and city streets surrounding Buffalo Bayou Park. When parking along city streets, please pay close attention to signage, be neighborly and use the pedestrian bridges to safely access the park. Do not leave valuables in your vehicle. Restricted & Temporary Parking Options:
- City of Houston Lot H – Over 400 spaces available for public parking on weekends and after 6 pm on weekdays. Buffalo Bayou Park trails can be accessed from Sabine Promenade.
- American General Campus Surface Lot – The American General Campus is temporarily offering free weekend parking to park visitors. To access this parking on Saturdays and Sundays, proceed east on the Allen Parkway (inbound) feeder from Waugh. Turn right into entrance 4, then turn left to enter the surface lot. Once parked, please use paved paths and sidewalks to proceed to the crosswalk at Studemont to safely cross Allen Parkway to Buffalo Bayou Park. All garage and parallel parking within the American General Campus is private parking and reserved for office tenants only.
- Parking on Allen Parkway – Parking is available 9 am – 7 pm Monday-Sunday. There are 140 parking spots between Sabine and Taft streets with pricing at $1 per hour for a 3 hour max (including Saturday and Sunday).